Welcome to the Southern Ohio Chapter of US Lacrosse.
AGENDA FOR 10/28/14 CHAPTER MEETING
1. Focus for 10/28 Meeting in conjunction with Loveland Lacrosse Club:
- Presentation by John Danowski, Head Coach of the Duke Blue Devils, 2011, 2013 and 2014 NCAA D1 National Champions
2. Update from US Lacrosse – Michael Cochran, Senior Manager, Eastern Regional Development
3. Recap from Meeting of Midwest Chapter Presidents in Austin, TX – Dan Utt
4. Chapter Fall and Winter Training and Educational Opportunities for Coaches and Officials
- 11/22/14 – Level One Clinic and Advanced Coaching Clinic at Mason High School – Kevin Carroll. Register on Chapter website.
- Late January/Early February – Positive Coaching Alliance Workshop
- Chapter submitted grant application to US Lacrosse to assist in funding a PCA Partnership with the Chapter; waiting for decision from National; plan to have a PCA event(s) in any event in 2015.
- Official training for new women’s officials; 11/11/14 and 11/15/14 from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m., and on the field 11/15 at Walnut Hills High School. Go to sowlua.com to register.
5. Fall, Winter and Summer Player Opportunities:
- The HS Boys JV Preview day is set for 3/14/2015. Currently, one of our newest HS programs, Franklin, has offered to host. Need to get the list of teams interested sent to David Noll by no later than Friday, Nov. 14. 16 teams is the max, and after that a second site would be added – Turf preferred. First come, first served. Your acceptance is based on the time-stamp of your reply. Please send your request to play in the JV Preview to: email@example.com. Any questions, please call me at 937-272-8139.
- Jeff Luebbe -- Queen City Classic Tournament
- Additional Fall/Winter Lacrosse Opportunities for Youth and High School Players – Posted on website as received
6. Local Opportunities.
- Lakota Lacrosse Dragonfly Foundation Fundraiser Tournament for childhood cancer prevention; tournament play for men, women and youth players; Saturday 11/1/14 at VOA Park. Go to Lakotalacrosse.org to register.
- BSN Sports Fall Coaching Clinic; November 8 from 12:00 to 5:00 at Moeller High School. A number of collegiate coaches will be presenting coaching instructions and ideals to local coaches. Email Sean McGinnis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Turkey Shoot Fall 7v7 Girls Tournament at Walnut Hills High School; Saturday (11/15) and Sunday (11/16). Email Mike Shea if interested (email@example.com)
7. Chapter Website - www.uslacrossechapters.org/southernohio/.
- Please forward any updates and Chapter oriented lacrosse events and opportunities to Dan Utt (firstname.lastname@example.org), and to Anne Murphy for posting on the website: email@example.com.
- Not an Advertising Formula
8. Program Contact Information/Participation Fees
- Need each program to send Dennis Kollhoff an E-mail with Current Contact Person for billing purposes: Name, Address, e-mail and phone number. Should be the person responsible for getting the bill paid – ideally the treasurer! Bills will be sent out in November this year.
- Dennis Kollhoff: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chapter Invoices will be sent out early November. Need to process for payment December 31.
9. Future Meeting Dates for this Fall/Winter:
- 10/28 (in conjunction with Loveland Lacrosse Club), 11/19 and 12/17
- 11/19 at 7 PM (Mason High School)
- 12/17 at 7 PM (Mason High School)
- January Meeting - TBD
- Will be posted on Website with confirmed locations
10. Breakout Sessions for Youth, Middle School and High School Program Leaders
Duke Lacrosse Coach Coming to Southern Ohio Tuesday, October 28
The Southern Ohio Chapter of US Lacrosse, in conjunction with Loveland Lacrosse, welcome special guest speaker:
John Danowski - Head Coach, Duke Blue Devils Men's Lacrosse
- 2011, 2013, 2014 Division I NCAA National Champions
When: Tuesday October 28, 7:00 p.m.
Where: Loveland High School Auditorium, 1 Tiger Trail, Loveland, OH
Cost: ADMISSION IS FREE. Open to all players, parents, coaches from all programs in Southern Ohio and surrounding region. Arrive early. Park and enter in the back.
RSVP: Seating is limited, so please RSVP to Daniel Utt.
Immediately Following: The Southern Ohio Chapter of US Lacrosse will hold a short meeting following Coach Danowski's Presentation
Upcoming Coaching Education Opportunities
The Southern Ohio Chapter of US Lacrosse is proud to announce coaches training for both new and experienced coaches in Southern Ohio.
When: November 22, 2014
What: The chapter will be hosting two events simultaneously:
Where: Mason High School, click here for directions
Registration: Click here to register for the Level 1 Clinic
Check-in for the coaches clinics starts at 8:30 a.m. with the clinics starting promptly at 9:00 a.m.
Ohio Concussion Awareness / Return to Play Law
Folks, you may have heard that Ohio has adopted a new law concerning concussions that applies to both HS teams and also youth sports organizations. Each of our club or school sponsored organizations are covered and are required to comply. In general, the law requires each coach and official to take a free on-line concussion awareness course, and establishes procedures for removing a player from practice or games who exhibits signs of a concussion. The law also establishes the requirements for a player to return to play (i.e., physician or certified trainer release). Finally, the law requires each program to provide an informational disclosure on concussions in sports to the parent or guardian of each of your players. The form is prescribed by the Ohio Department of Health. The Department of Health has identified the on-line courses, and has also completed the parent disclosure form. I have set forth below a link below to the Ohio Department of Health website that contains all of this information. NOTE: this law is effective 4/26/13 so each Program will have to comply. Please note that the League and the Southern Ohio Chapter of US Lacrosse are not responsible for compliance with this law: compliance is the responsibility of each Program. You only have the immunity and other benefits of the law if you comply by having each coach and official take the on-line training, and for Programs to provide the disclosure to parents.
Note the requirements and training are more detailed for HS programs, and also require the players to sign off on the player and parent receiving the concussion awareness disclosure.
Everyone should read this information carefully and make sure you comply.
The Ohio Department of Health's Violence and Injury Prevention Program is pleased to announce our new youth concussion web page,www.healthyohioprogram.org/concussion